6/18/14

A New Meaning for “Kind”

Being “kind” is confusing. I know we’re all wondering if it’s more than just being nice or polite. So what is kindness and how do we practice it?

The Greek word used in 1 Corinthians 13:4 is pretty interesting and not even close to the word “nice”.  The actual definition for the word here is: “I am kind (full of service to others), gentle.”

Weird. I am….full of service to others? Another site defines it like this: "useful, profitable, well-fit for what is really needed; kindness that is also serviceable.”  They are getting this because of the Word Origin (meaning the word here is a variant of the original word: χρηστός or chréstos) which means “serviceable, good”.

In other words love isn’t just kind as we understand the word kind. Love is useful or full of service.

So if I love, I am useful to those I love. If I love, I am of service to those I love. Or I could say I am a servant to those I love. That makes sense doesn’t it?  You know who was THE perfect example of  “servant”? I’m sure you can figure that out.

The kindness here is an action. Oh man! I was hoping it was simpler than that. I was hoping I could just be nicer for a week. It looks like I have to actually be aware of God speaking to me, and listen to Him when He tells me to DO something for someone.

Have you ever heard of the Five Love Languages? It’s a book and idea that we express and receive love in 5 different ways. One of those ways is “acts of service”. You may feel really loved when someone serves you, or you may show love by serving.

I bring this up because it ties some of this together for me. God is saying here that LOVE is 'usefully kind’. So if we walk in love, we will be naturally useful, naturally serving others. And guess what? One in 5 people (not a precise calculation) may actually see these acts of service as LOVE! They may feel loved because of your kindness, your service.

That’s pretty cool.

I think to really understand Week Two we need to change “Love is Kind” to “Love is Serving”. 

So how does God want me to serve today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If 15 Weeks to LOVE is going to make a difference, we have to do this together. Post your comments, your struggles, your victories, your funny stories, so we can share together in this journey. It's not an easy one, but moving forward as a team will help us endure to the end; and press forward for the greater goal. So please tell me what you think, and how you're doing.